Natural materials are always a good choice. They’re durable, environmentally-friendly, improve the microclimate of indoor spaces, and look stylish regardless of interior design and changing styles. We’re presenting our favorite materials, their main advantages and innumerable ways of ingenious arrangements.
Without a doubt, it’s the most appreciated natural material used in interior design. It’s enjoyed enduring popularity for years and it seems to still be on the rise. This surely results from the trend for all kinds of crafts as well as increasing ecological awareness. We all know about the highly popular tables and bookcases made of pallets.
Wood is universal, cozy, and easy to work with. With all its advantages, it’s little wonder that wood has so many fans.
What are the main advantages of wood?
Properly seasoned and dried, this material is virtually timeless and everlasting. It can be renewed and restored. Depending on the type, wood can take on various colors and textures – from good old light pine, through darker oak, all the way to the increasingly popular exotic types like Merbau and wenge.
Wood’s texture is varied, which makes this material unique. It’s a good thermal and electrical insulator and can support considerable weight. Wood ages beautifully and matches every style, providing interiors with a sense of warmth and coziness.
Where can it be used?
- Wood works well as a finishing material for floors. Properly prepared boards can be installed directly on floor heating systems commonly used in houses. Traditional sanded parquet, in turn, will be a beautiful addition to an old elegant apartment.
- Wood can be used for furniture, kitchen or bathroom cabinets, and spacious wardrobes.
- Wooden doors and window frames have undeniable charm as well.
- Recycled wood has been very popular of late – boards from an old shed will be ideal for a rustic tabletop, cabinet fronts or decorative wall paneling.
Wood is a great construction and finish material and matches every style.
The natural and traditional material of brick has made a great come back! The lucky owners of exposed brick walls enjoy them proudly, and the enthusiasts of brick as construction material happily use it. It is not necessary, however, to construct a brick house in order to enjoy the look of brick. Thanks to the solutions available you can afford a brick finish even in a small apartment.
What are the main advantages of brick?
It’s a universal and timeless material – having been used in construction for ages, and it always looks stylish. Brick is baked from clay, a natural material that creates a human-friendly microclimate. It is cold, humidity, and fire-resistant. It also works well as a thermal insulator and sound-proofing material, and easily kept clean. Besides, it has undeniable aesthetic value.
Where can it be used?
- This material goes with almost every style. In its natural shades, it greatly accents classic interiors, recalling traditional construction.
- High walls of bare brick, accompanied by metal and concrete, provide a unique industrial atmosphere.
- Painted white, brick will cleverly fit the Scandinavian style and still charm with its unique texture.
- The most obvious solution is using brick for walls, but it can be used in the kitchen as the backsplash, the side of the cabinets or an island, as well as the fireplace. Regardless of its application, brick will be great to look at for decades and lose nothing of its beauty.
Natural brick wall goes well with metal and concrete and has a unique texture.
The oldest construction material still remains popular today. Often associated with austerity, well-selected stone has unlimited use in interior design. There are many interesting types of natural stone available on the market and everyone can find something to meet one’s needs and preferences. Fans of timelessness will surely be fascinated by marble. The enthusiasts of warm classic colors will choose travertine or sandstone, while more grand interior designs will benefit from the use of granite or basalt.
What are the main advantages of stone?
Stone finishes are characterized by high durability as well as water, heat, and damage resistance.
Another important aspect is their visual effect. Various types of stone differ in color, texture, and finishes. This diversity is appreciated by the fans of natural solutions. When polished, stone will reflect light, while a natural finish will surprise you with its unique texture.
Choosing the type of stone for a particular solution, one should also pay attention to its characteristics. For places exposed to the elements, the best quality is recommended.
Where can it be used?
- Stone surfaces are ideal for minimalist interiors where they can easily replace traditional floor tiles.
- Also, an interesting and sophisticated solution will be using stone to finish a fireplace surround or accent one decorative wall in the living room.
- A properly selected stone countertop for the kitchen will be more durable than a wooden one and add elegance. In a rustic interior, a popular solution is to install a stone farmer sink.
- If you like stone, but can’t really find a place to apply it in your apartment, think about using it as the windowsill. Classic light marble or quartz will beautifully emphasize white window frames.
Stone surfaces are perfect for the windowsill or kitchen backsplash.
The first thing that comes to our mind thinking about metal is its rawness and coldness, along with elegance. It’s mandatory and most popular for industrial style. Skilfully combined with other materials, metal will work well in every interior – even the more traditional or modern ones. Additionally, it has a number of advantages, which make it a desirable finishing material.
What are the main advantages of metal?
It’s a particularly durable material and can be used both indoors and outdoors (for stairs, railings, etc.). Metal can carry large loads well, while looking very light. They are therefore used for openwork bookcases, tables, and chairs. Metal is also resistant to physical damage as well as chemical and atmospheric factors.
Where can it be used?
- Metal is most commonly used in the previously mentioned industrial style interiors, in which metal accents the large storage spaces, and the bare pipes multiply the effect.
- This material is also great side by side with natural wood, which is why heavy wooden tabletops are often rested on metal legs.
- The brave of heart can venture to have a metal floor or a metal kitchen countertop, while more modern designs can smuggle metal in accessories: lamps, cabinet handles, and curtain rods.
- The enthusiasts of warm colors don’t have to be limited to aluminium, nickel or steel. Accessories made from copper and brass can be equally elegant and much cozier at the same time.
A great advantage of metal is its durability and a very light look at the same time.
Thank you and a shout out to:
FOUNDER, Wellcome Home, Poland